Thursday, July 26, 2012

World Famous in Three Lamps


I’m not entirely sure if he’s homeless, if he isn’t he must be pretty close to being homeless. Dishevelled and a little bit dirty, but he does have a few possessions. He has his guitar and he has a little stool. I don’t imagine he makes a lot of money at his spot, it’s a busy piece of the street but not a crowded piece.

His guitar seems like it could be out of tune, it’s hard to tell, I wouldn’t be surprised if he only knew one chord. The guitar is just a prop really, something to strum along in the background of his song. Because it’s not the music he’s selling it’s his voice. What change he does manage to collect he earns with his voice, it’s a voice opposite to his outward appearance. His voice is crisp and clear, it’s a voice that cuts, it’s powerful and unforced.

I wonder if he’s ever been a musician, a professional musician I mean. Maybe he used to be famous, or as famous as you can be in this city. I drop a coin at his feet and give him a smile, at least he’s famous on this little corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment