Monday, August 20, 2012

There's a Morepork on my Street


There's a morepork on my street. He lives in a big Norfolk pine up near the top of the hill, the other end of the street to me. He stands guard up there, when I walk past in the evenings he always sends me off with a hoot. Then when I come back later on in the night he’s still up, standing guard and telling me that he’s still there. Watching me come and go.

His tree is a big one, some of the trees on my street are bigger than the houses, which is saying a lot. His pine must have been there a long time, it would’ve come along with some of the first houses here. Now newer buildings surround it, even a tower of apartments. It still stands proudly near the top of the hill, marking its place in this old suburb in a relatively young city. And it holds in it the little owl with the loud voice. There’s morepork on my street.


No comments:

Post a Comment