Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Portal


It's not instant like in the science fiction movies, it's a lot slower than that, the portal that takes me home from work, but it's still magic.

I enter it from the office door, leaving the square building in the outer limits of the city, where everything seems to be the colour of a nineties computer, beige and faded and a bit grubby around the space bar.

I slowly edge my way to another place. Sights blur past me with my glasses off and eyes adjusting to the light. I don't even realise when I'm nearly there, the slowness of the portal means my journey’s end sneaks up on me.

At the other end of the portal the difference is stark. Colours and sounds seem crisper and more alive. I'm back at home and feel it too. I need a glass of cold water and a seat afterwards, breathing deep contented breaths as I untie my running shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment