Saturday, March 31, 2012

Enemy Ants


We were here first, this is our garden and we wont stop this until they go back to the other side of the fence. I heard one of the other ants in the nest saying that there’s an even bigger colony on the far side of the neighbours garden. But I fail to see why that should be our problem. There are only so many pieces of fallen fruit and scraps dropped on the ground. I can tell you now that if they even think of trying to send their ants into the house to collect food there will be a massive battle. Our queen has been presiding over a colony that’s occupied that house since before the current humans moved in.

The word is that the far colony is trying to muscle the enemy out of their house. So I don’t see how we could lose the battle if they did try to invade further. They can’t fight a war that big on two fronts. The skirmishes they’ve instigated over here have been small so far. They sneak across and try to get to a dead sparrow before us. Or steal the crumbs after the humans have had a barbeque. But trying to get into the house, that would be an all out declaration of war. I don’t think they’d try, or if they do it would only be because they don’t understand just how extensive our supply lines are, just what we have running in and out of that place. There are workers going in and back all around the clock, every single day of the week. We own that place, they wouldn’t dare.

If there was a war I’m sure we’d win. I don’t think their colony is as big as ours, so not every ant would have to go to war. I don’t think so anyway. I’ve got a lot of work to do and I don’t want to get behind. I figure that if there is a war, the scouts will be exempt from fighting. Surely it’ll be more important than ever to go out and find new sources of food. But then again, we are the fittest and the fastest. But it wont matter, I’m sure they’ll never try anything that bold.


So today I was out scouring the area around the back door, the humans often drop things around there. While I was looking around I thought I saw a strange ant near the cracked paint under the doorframe. I went closer and saw that some of the enemy ants were poking around. Things got ugly, there was maybe nine or ten of them. It got violent and I killed three of them. After the first little scuffle the others fled, I was kind of glad they did. I don’t think they realised that I was on my own because between them all they could have easily overpowered me. Although they all looked hungry, they were skinny and a bit weak.

But the thing that worried me most wasn’t fear that I could’ve been killed. That didn’t kick in until later. No the thing that shook me the most was where they went. They didn’t head back towards the enemy colony, their trail took them in the other direction. Towards number ten. Why would ants from the colony at number ten come here? We’ve had a truce with their colony for years. The only reason I can think of scares me. What if they’re under attack as well? How bad must it be if they’re sneaking around over here? I don’t want to admit it to myself but I think all of the colonies must be under pressure. I don’t know how we can fight off everyone and still get enough food out of the house to feed ourselves. A battle over one fence is bad enough, let alone battles on both sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment